Although interest income from munis is tax exempt, taxpayers are still required to report such interest on their federal income tax returns. There may be other tax considerations such as Original Issue Discount to consider, too. 

It is best to consult an accountant or tax professional for your specific situation. Return estimates given on Neighborly are for information purposes only and do not affect the computation of any taxes you may owe.

Did this answer your question?